Rethinking Aging with Phyllis Ayman
“Wine, when aged, is way more expensive. We value antiques because they represent a different age and tell a different story. Why don’t we apply the same thing to people?”
– Phyllis Ayman
Phyllis joins me today to discuss how we can shift the conversation around aging. She describes life and aging as the stages of a play and outlines limiting beliefs related to aging and ageism.
She explains why it’s the responsibility of older people to embrace strategies that allow them to age gracefully and vibrantly and how intellectual stimulation and social connection help avoid cognitive decline.
Phyllis also highlights the importance of bridging the connection between younger and older generations and underscores the value of lived experience.
This week on The Mindset Zone:
- Phyllis’ mindset about aging
- How colleges around the country are building bridges between older and younger people
- The “Sandwich” generation
- What ignited Phyllis’ advocacy work on aging and elder care
- Why older people don’t receive the care they deserve
- The importance of sleep in cognitive health
- How taking care of our bodies in a holistic way can prevent cognitive decline
- The role of mindset in changing the culture and conversations around aging
Phyllis Ayman is an ambassador for Conscious Aging Life Management. She is a Wall Street Journal and USA Today bestselling author of several books, including Overdue: Quality Care for Our Elder Citizens, which became a #1 New Release on Amazon. Phyllis is also a speech and language pathologist with over 40 years of experience working with families in long-term care. Phyllis holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Communication Disorders from Emerson College and a Master’s degree in Speech-Language Pathology from the University of Wisconsin, Madison. In addition to her work, Phyllis serves as a committee member of the UN NGO Committee on Aging and is a board member of the Massachusetts Advocates for Nursing Home Reform.
Connect with Phyllis Ayman:
- Phyllis Ayman Associates
- Podcast: Seniors STRAIGHT Talk
- Book: Overdue: Quality Care for Our Elder Citizens
- Phyllis Ayman on LinkedIn
- Phyllis Ayman on Instagram
- Phyllis Ayman on Facebook
- Phyllis Ayman on Twitter
- Phyllis Ayman on YouTube
- Email: [email protected]