“Be gentle with yourself” – Sandy Joy Weston Interviews Ana Melikian, Ph.D.
“Many women are on a mission to make a difference and create an impact but are very hard on themselves. Relax, do the best you can, and be gentle on yourself.”
In today’s episode, I joined Sandy, the host of the Instagram live “Hey, I’ve Got Something to Say,” to discuss the importance of being gentle with ourselves. We describe how women tend to doubt themselves and how they get critical of themselves before, during, and after their mission to change the world.
We discuss mental fitness and how training our mental capacity for resilience takes time, practice, and patience. We also highlight the important role of negative emotions and underscore how we can cultivate the conditions where happiness can thrive and flourish in our lives.
This week on The Mindset Zone:
- Why women doubt that they can make a difference in the world
- The important role of negative emotions
- Training our mental capacity for resilience like a muscle
- The importance of taking brain breaks, resets, and rests
- “The Happiness Fallacy” keynote and why we can’t force happiness to happen in our lives
- Creating the conditions where happiness and joy can spontaneously happen
- How positivity can backfire
- Honoring grief, bereavement, and mourning
- How to reset your brain after years of being conditioned with toxic positivity
- Changing the prince charming/damsel in distress narrative
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “It’s so true that it’s time to get women in the spotlight. We’re good behind the scenes—but we need to challenge ourselves to go out there.” – Sandy Joy Weston
- “We have to allow ourselves to take the time to rest and restore, to go out of our routine and see things from a different perspective.” – Ana Melikian
- “Everyone thought that as soon as I graduated, I’d be on fire, but I took some time in the garden, weeding and planting. I felt I needed to take a break mentally to rejuvenate and get my energy back out.” – Sandy Joy Weston
Sandy Joy Weston, M.Ed., is an author, entrepreneur, and media personality. A motivational speaker and fitness guru, Sandy is on a mission to spread joy and positivity. By using fitness and her gift of motivation as her tools, she helps individuals achieve their goals with ease and flow. She is the host of the podcasts “Let’s Keep It Real,” “Positive Power Lady” Live on Facebook, and “Hey, I’ve Got Something to Say” Live on Instagram.Her book, Train Your Head and Your Body Will Follow, guides readers in redirecting their thoughts in a positive, focused manner.
*This episode was rebroadcast here at the Mindset Zone with explicit consent from Sandy Joy Weston, the host of Hey, I’ve Got Something to Say Live on Instagram.
Connect with Sandy Joy Weston:
- Sandy Joy Weston Website
- Book: Train Your Head and Your Body Will Follow: Reach Any Goal in 3 Minutes a Day
- Podcast: Hey, I’ve Got Something to Say on Instagram
- Podcast: Let’s Keep It Real on Apple
- Podcast: Let’s Keep It Real on Google Play
- Podcast: Let’s Keep It Real on Spotify
- Podcast: Let’s Keep It Real on Stitcher
- Sandy Joy Weston on LinkedIn
- Sandy Joy Weston on Instagram
- Sandy Joy Weston on Facebook
- Sandy Joy Weston on Twitter