Innovation, Diversity & STEM with D Sangeeta
“90 plus percent of the women leaving are not leaving for the family reasons; they are being pushed out of the workforce.”
– D. Sangeeta
In this episode, Sangeeta shared her journey and the innovative approach she has taken to empower women in STEM fields. With her extensive experience and expertise, she has founded Gotara, a platform that addresses the gender gap and provides career advice, business acumen, and leadership skills to women in technical fields.
Gotara's unique approach of combining a safe space for open dialogue, AI-enabled resources, and personalized coaching has proven to be a game-changer for both individuals and organizations.
We believe in the power of fostering diversity and empowering women in STEM fields, and Gotara is making a significant impact in this space. We hope you find inspiration in Sangeeta's story and the work she is doing to close the gender gap and support women's career growth.
Let's dive in!
This week on The Mindset Zone:
- Sangeeta's reflection on obtaining patents and her realization of the key factors contributing to her success.
- Key factors for innovation:
- (1) Working backwards from customer needs;
- (2) Diversity of thought;
- (3) Inclusive and collaborative environment;
- (4) Discipline and experimentation.
- Gotara and its mission to close the gender gap in STEM fields.
- Key challenges in STEM fields: (1) Gender gap; (2) Manager upskilling.
- Gutara's approach to addressing these challenges with an AI-enabled platform.
- Providing business acumen and leadership skills with a focus on ROI.
- Serving as a safe space for women to address sensitive issues.
- Retention and career acceleration achievements.
- The significance of having a safe space for open discussions
- Differences between discussing sensitive issues internally and with a third-party platform like Gotara.
- Work sustainability and avoiding burnout.
- The benefits of work-life balance and productivity.
- Company culture and promoting work-life balance.
Meet the Guest:
Sangeeta launched her tech startup, “Gotara,” to provide career advice to women in STEM, drawing on her extensive experience in industries like Aviation, Energy, and Tech. At Gotara, she leads innovative nano-learning programs to help close the gender gap in STEM fields. Previously, she was the Vice President of Connections at Amazon, overseeing various aspects of Research, Technology, Product, and Business Deployment. Her career also includes significant roles at Nielsen and GE, spanning diverse areas such as Data Science, Marketing, Diversity, and Quality.
Her academic background includes a Ph.D. in Materials Chemistry from the University of Illinois and an M.S. in Chemistry from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur. Sangeeta is an author of two books, holds 26 patents, and has received several prestigious awards, including the Nielsen CEO award and the National Women of Color Technology Award. Outside of work, she enjoys traveling and playing golf with her family, including her husband, the CEO of Gensuite, and her daughter who works in New York City.