FOMO is Real
“Social media has mastered intermittent reinforcements as well, or even better, than a casino's slot machine.“
— Ana Melikian
In today's episode, we'll be diving deep into the concept of FOMO, or Fear Of Missing Out. Inspired by the insights from Gina Bianchini's book “Purpose,” we explore how FOMO affects our lives and keeps us running in place.
FOMO is a powerful psychological force that is constantly reinforced by modern social media and our fear of missing something important.
Join us as we uncover the science behind FOMO and discuss how it impacts our decision-making and actions.
So grab your headphones and get ready to explore the world of FOMO in the Mindset Zone.
This week on The Mindset Zone:
- Ana introduces you to FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out.)
- Inspiration from Gina Bianchini's book “Purpose.”
- Ana explains the differences between classical conditioning and operant conditioning.
- Examples of intermittent reinforcement in everyday life (scrolling social media and checking emails repeatedly.)
- FOMO as a form of intermittent reinforcement.
- Understanding the impact of FOMO on our actions and purpose.
- The danger of running in place due to FOMO.
- Overcoming FOMO through strategies other than willpower.
- Purpose: Design a Community and Change Your Life—A Step-by-Step Guide to Finding Your Purpose and Making It Matter by Gina Bianchini (Author)
- Mighty Networks & Community Mindset with Gina Bianchini – an interview at the MINDSET ZONE
Other Solo Episodes: